Do you know our shoulder muscles are considered the easier muscle groups to build?
If you have consistency and the correct shoulder workout, you can build perfect shoulder muscles.
Shoulder workouts are vital to get these muscle groups to develop properly and stronger in preventing any workouts injury, especially during weight lifting training.
How do you do proper pushups for shoulder workouts at home? Which exercise can help to broaden your shoulder?
Let’s find out more.
What Are The Best Shoulder Workout At Home?
Our shoulder muscles are divided into a few muscle regions such as;
* the trapezius which connects your shoulders in the back and supports the neck.
* pectoralis (pec) major which connects to your shoulders and is a large muscle that covers most of your chest section.
* rhomboid major which is a back muscle that connects the shoulder blades with the spine.
* deltoid muscles are categorized into anterior deltoid, lateral deltoid, and postural deltoid, which all is consisting of a thin layer of tissues connect between your shoulders and chest.
Working out with the right routine on these muscles ensures you can expect strength and muscles mass gain a lot faster.
According to fitness experts, these are a few shoulder workouts to get your shoulder muscles working out. Start with a minimum of 3 – 6 sets, each with 8 – 10 reps, and take a short rest in between the sets. Some of the forms need weights and equipment to start.
1. Pushups such as incline pushups with a bench or chair, diamond pushups, wide pushups, and push-back pushups.
2. Overhead Shoulder Press using weight like barbells, dumbbells, or kettlebells. This form works on all of the important muscle regions mentioned above. You can also use the resistance bands and elastic pull ropes like I’m using now at home.
3. Crab Walk is another full bodyweight exercise targeting your core, shoulders, arms, and leg muscles. You need time to slowly master this form, especially as a beginner as I did before.
4. Dumbbell Shoulder Press is one of my favorite shoulder exercises. It targets your deltoid, trapezius, core, glutes, and quads. Start with lighter weights if you are a freshie in weight training.
5. Lateral Raise is also my preferred workout for shoulders. It is a versatile exercise to improve shoulder mobility and helps to develop deltoid muscles.
What Workouts Can Help For Broadening Your Shoulders?
Do you want to have sexier and wider shoulders?
No problem, try this 4 widening shoulder workout at home.
1. Side lateral raises target deltoid and trapezius muscles, effective in strengthening and toning these muscles and also the upper back muscles. You can start by using light dumbbells and slowly increase the weights as you progress.
2. Overhead shoulder press. If you are doing this form in a standing position, most of the upper body muscles worked are the deltoids, pectoral, trapezius, and triceps.
If you are performing in a seated position, you are recruiting the shoulders and triceps muscles mostly as the core and lower back muscles are in a more rested position now as compared to the standing position.
3. Dumbbell front raise is one of my favorite shoulder workouts. It works great for building strength, improving shoulders mobility, and widening shoulders in a V-shaped torso. This form target the front upper body including shoulders, chest, and biceps.
4. Face pulls target mainly the shoulder joints muscles group especially the rotator cuff and posterior deltoids. It is considered the best exercise for shoulder strength, and shoulder dysfunction due to injury, and works as a posture corrector.
This workout form help to strengthen the upper body’s weak muscles due to long hours of sitting in a hunchback position. You can use cable face pulls or resistance bands.
How can you correct the rounded shoulders with an exercise?
Are you still struggling to fix back your rounded shoulders? Rounded shoulders due to poor posture if not fixed can lead to headache, neck pain, or lower back pain.
Why not try these few simple shoulder stretching exercises at home?
1. Chest doorway stretch. I loved to do this simple and quick shoulder workout, especially after an upper-body workout. This form stretches the shoulders and opens up the chest at the same time.
2. Reverse shoulder stretch is another of my favorite quickie shoulder and biceps workouts which requires your shoulders flexibility. You can stretch to a longer motion so as not to feel pain when doing this move.
3. Lateral neck flexion stretch is not only good for the neck but also to correct the rounded shoulders. This type of movement of a body (your neck and the spine) to one side works on the side neck muscles which connect to the rib bones.
It targets the upper fibers of the trapezius and helps to reduce spinal pressure and loosen muscle tightness mainly due to long hours of sitting at the desk.
How To Do Proper Pushups For Shoulder Workouts?
Pushups are great workouts to help strengthen and tone the upper body and core.
When you do pushups, the major muscles in the upper body such as the chest, back, shoulders, triceps, and biceps do all the work.
For beginners wishes to build strength and muscles in the upper body such as the chest and shoulders, try to initiate these 3 simple pushup workouts:
1. Wall pushup helps a complete newbie to build a strong foundation for the chest, arms, and shoulders. This type of pushup doesn’t imply heavy stress on the working muscles and is excellent for shoulder injury recovery.
You can do it easily at home. Recommended starting with 3 sets, each 10 – 12 reps, and rest for 30 seconds in between reps.
2. Modified pushup is a bit more challenging than Wall pushup. It works by relaxing the muscles and maintaining stiffness. You are doing a pushup with both your knees and toes touching the floor. I like this form when I first started out.
Recommended starting with 3 sets, each 10 – 12 reps, and then resting for 30 seconds in between reps.
3. Standard pushups and Wide pushups are more elevated pushup forms once you have gained good strength and endurance experience in doing pushups.
Needless to say, everybody knows these classic pushups. Not only they are good for shoulder muscle building but also for the chest (pecs), arms (triceps), and core too.
The main difference is the wide pushup requires you to widen the distance between your hands when doing pushups. This is great to build more strength in the chest muscles.
Personally, I thought doing 3 – 4 sets with 10 – 12 reps is ideal for each session. However, that entirely depends on your overall physical strength, you can do more sets if you think you can.
Is it true pushups are bad for your shoulders?
Yes, if a trainer not doing a pushup correctly, it can cause injury to the shoulders joints, and muscles.
When you first started your pushup such as a standard pushup, try not to extend the arms and elbows outwards. This position according to fitness experts is considered ineffective and possibly damaging to the elbows and shoulders muscles.
Perform each set slowly with a steady pace, focusing on the mechanical movement. Never rush to finish as you might get injured in your muscles.
In doing a pushup correctly, just ensure to try to place both your hands in a vertical line with the shoulder blades.
Remember, the arms and elbows should be as close to your sides as possible. Instead of pointing to the sides, your elbows should be pointing backward as this will reduce the load on the collarbone and shoulder muscles as you move down your body.
How Can You Build Shoulder Muscles Bigger And Faster?
You can leverage your shoulder workout to the next territory to achieve bigger muscles in no time.
Try these 4 explosive shoulder muscle workouts with dumbbells. You should begin with lighter weights if you just get started out and don’t forget to do a 15-minute warm-up exercise first.
1. Rear deltoid raise helps to tone, stabilize and strengthen your upper back body, and shoulder muscles. It is a great starting workout to get you into other more powerful regimes such as bench presses, inverted rows, or deadlifts. We are aiming for 3 sets, each with 8 – 10 reps.
2. Side deltoid raise is also another shoulder workout target primarily the lateral head of delt muscles. If you constantly work out with side lateral raises, you can eventually build broader and stronger shoulders. Aim for 2 – 3 sets, with 8 – 10 reps each.
3. Front deltoid raise targets the frontal shoulders muscles. Mostly you are working out with lighter weights with each 10 – 12 repetitions for 3 sets.
This is an awesome shoulder exercise as you will see your muscles pumping hard and feel the burning sensation in your shoulders which results in muscle growth.
4. Standing military press works almost on the entire upper body primarily focusing on the delt muscles. This is also my favorite exercise using dumbbells.
Why? If the form is done correctly, not only does it work on the shoulder but also on your triceps, and you’ll get your core muscles and upper back engaged too.
Can You Train Your Shoulder Every Day For Bigger Muscles?
In my honest opinion, you shouldn’t train every part of your muscles every day!
Work and rest, it is that simple. Don’t overdo any form of workout in a single day.
Even if you are not a beginner, the rule is to stimulate the muscles, then let them rest for a day or two to recover. That’s how we grow the targeted muscles safely.
Unlike bigger muscle groups, smaller muscle groups such as calves, shoulders, or arms may need around 2 – 3 times a week to build, with an average of 8- 12 reps for 3 – 4 sets. Allow at least 1 – 2 days in between workouts for resting.
We are not in the green uniforms groups, so not necessary to force your body to overwork your muscles. As long as you do your reps and you are able to lift your own weight, that’s a good start.
For example, standing military press for shoulder exercise can take a bit of time to build bigger shoulder muscles but it’ll progress greatly over time as you practice more.
How much rest you can take between your shoulder workout?
Ideally, in between each rep, rest for about a minute, the max is around 120 seconds if you are doing intense weight lifting. Otherwise, you can reduce your rest period to a minute with an increase in the weight of each rep at full-intensity exercise.
Don’t rest too long as it normally takes time for the muscles to get reheated and this will not be much effective in your weight training.
Depending on your overall training frequency, your shoulder exercises should be done 2 – 3 times a week only in order for the muscles to rest and recover slowly.
My Final Thoughts: Do These 3 Proper Pushups For Shoulder Workouts
Having a stronger shoulder not only makes your physical upper body looks more attractive, and get to wear those tank tops in the summertime but also helps with your daily activities such as lifting, carrying, pushing, etc. In fact, many of your daily activities need your shoulders’ help to get engaged.
Your shoulders have a great range of motion with very versatile muscles and joints in the body. That’s why it is also important to incorporate your shoulder workout into your training routine to strengthen your shoulder.
Hope this insight is helpful for you to leave me a comment below, and I will be back within 24 hours.
To your exploding safe Home Fitness!
***This post may contain affiliate links or advertisements. I receive a small commission when you make a purchase using the links. Prices are the same for you if your purchase is through an affiliate link or a non-affiliate link. You will not pay more by clicking through the link. Please see my Affiliate Disclaimer for more details.